The Downham Banner was made in 1885 to commemorate the Centenary of the Downham Benevolent Society. It is a large Banner designed to be used at the head of the Parades held by the Society. 

The Banner is now installed and on display at Clitheroe Castle Museum. The History Group were amongst the guests at a Preview at Clitheroe Castle Museum and The Atrium Café. The banner looks magnificent in its conserved state in a refurbished gallery. As former owners the Warden on behalf of the Parish Church formally presented the banner to the head of Collections for the County Museum Service, Heather Davis. The generous grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund was acknowledged as was the work of the County Museum staff in preparing the exhibition and the People’s History Museum Conservation Department for the magnificent job in conserving the banner for exhibition.

Banner Viewing to celebrate its move to a permanent new home in Clitheroe Castle Museum.

banner 1

The conservation and display of the Centenary Banner of the Downham Benevolent Society.

Centenary Banner of the Downham Benevolent Society

 

698390df92 lottery logo 2lancs ccchatburn schoolChatburn C of E School

This site uses cookies to aid the use of this site, by continuing to use this site you consent to using cookies.
Ok